Saturday, January 22, 2011

San Ignacio to Mulage and Bahia Conception

After leaving beautiful San Ignacio the road travels back into the desert back to the Sea of Cortez. Most of Baja is desert with oasis areas´s. I´m afraid this portion is rather boring, no whales, no crashes, no disasters. I stopped at a town called Santa Rosalia which is kinda cool because its actually an old mining town the French built so the architecture is not Spanish/Mexican but French has a completely different feel. Unfortunately I thought the bread wasn´t any better but to be fair I only ate one kind of bun from the "French"  boulangerie. Sorry no pics maybe latter. It was a very busy and bustling town.


                                                    I know lets have Mexican for lunch!
Arrived in Mulage and met these two girls from somewhere in France near Belgium, they are "couch surfing" or "coach surfing" as they called it. Amazing they don't pay for accommodation they ask if they can stay on peoples "couches"via the web site and in return they are listed on the web site for people to stay with them. They are traveling I think they said for 3 months. 

Mulege is a very pretty sea side fishing town (about half way down the peninsula on the east coast) that was devastated by a direct hit from a hurricane two years ago. You could see evidence of it everywhere but  also it`s amazing how quickly the town is recovering. Apparently the water was over the top of the trees in the picture and you could see the hurricane circling overhead.

               I know what I fancy lets have Mexican food for supper! (this is camerones tacos hmmm)
At Mulage I realized I am running out of time, It's funny a month in the saddle sounds like a lot of time but it´s really not. I thought I must keep the hammer down to complete my loosely planned trip which was to go around Baja, get to the  bottom and come up the other side (west side). But after some soul searching I thought what do I really want to do, I know I dint want to rush, I know I dont like sitting in the saddle on a boring road all day long (if it´s straight I hate it) and really don't care if I see another mission, I do know I love camping being on the beach, swimming, meeting people and chatting, I love to ride my bike unladen off road also I want to kayak on Conception Bay and I want to  spend a little time in La Paz ( big town in south Baja East coast plus I want to snorkel at Punta Pulmo which has fabulous  reefs that are accessible from shore and great camping. It´s funny I felt compelled to "complete the journey" I don't know why. But I have decided not to, I am going to fail on this great journey of circumnavigating the Baja Peninsular! I have decided instead to enjoy the last week and half and do what I love. Tough decision!!!!! thank god I figured it out. 

Just thought every one would like to see another picture of my bike! ha ha.What a beaut. That belly pan has done it´s job over and over, I´m sure a rock would have gone through the cases by now. I met a guy who had to abandon a similar adventure as mine in Baja on his Kawasaki KLR650 because of a rock that went through the engine cases draining all the oil, he said it happened of course in the middle of nowhere. So far other than a few scratches the only thing that needs replacing is the front rim.

Everywhere you go you all ways end up with a buddy while you are wherever in Mexico, helps with me missing my hounds.



So off to Conception bay it is to meet new friends, snorkel, kayaking, and go clamming!

We are feeling OK, my new buddy(s) Edwardo and Sandra who after I had an exciting day kayaking and clamming I made a clam nosh they called Chris K nosh. It was OK they liked it (or so they say) and I ate it. Sandra also cooked up some sea bass which was excellent. Eat drink and be merry! Ed is a old Californian fisherman who now lives on the beach in his palapa (he said when he was a kid he wanted to live like Robinson Crusoe) well guess what. He and Sandra are awesome if you are there at playa burro look them up, say Chris the crazy Canadian sent you! Later we went for a midnight cruise in his panga boat, I know we shouldn't have but Ed got very serious used all the electronics and "captained" the boat very expertly.

"Edwardo and Sandra" business partners, hmmm Sandra has a very gouchi palapa house down the beach. Sometimes you get really good info travelling,  Sandra suggested to take the ferry over to mainland from La Paz and then it`s a straight boring hi-way back up to the border but will save me I think two days driving. This gives me more time doing what I want to, great.

Captain Edwardos, Robinson Crusoe's Palapa


3 comments:

  1. Now that you've dropped your bike so many times, I guess you'll let me take it for a rip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you're asking....

    Personally, I am quite enchanted by 'belangeria'-a lovely creative word I thought. Boulangerie is French for bakery, panaderia is the Spanish. The best of both worlds, really.

    I am also truly enamoured with what you do to words when you add 'ing'.

    I'd like to mention that on your reading group list there are people who run literacy programs where you have been known to volunteer on occasion.

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And on a sincere and serious note - it is fantastic that you are being 'present' instead of being 'driven' on your journey.

    My heart sings for you my love.
    R
    (Yes Judith, this is one of those moments when all I can see is the perfection of his soul...)

    ReplyDelete