Saturday, January 1, 2011

ALL IS GOOD

 

My bike has arrived safely to Victory BMW Chandler AZ. These guys are great, really helpful, thanks. Good to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Hi All, Firstly I take no responsibility for my spelling from here on in, it is what it is. I arrived at Phoenix AR no problems on Wednesday night (cold and raining!!!). Went to Victory BMW in the morning and there she was all sodden and wet in the Harley crate looking very unwanted and bedraggled. The crate is finished, caput, the guys at Victory are going to get me another crate. I put the bike together (took hours). One of the guys there (lost his card can't remember his name and his email ?)who has ridden around the world twice over years and years was amused with the amount of stuff I had, he said "other than tools if you don't touch it every day you probably don't need it" (anyway I think I am going to come up with a new classification for adventure touring, something with being a bit of a luxury oriented adventure tourer sub classification).  And off I go only to run out of gas about a mile away, hmmm hopefully not an auspicious beginning, as I am beginning to realize I can not  push this pig very far (oh my god its heavy it's not like pushing a race bike back to pits) a guy stops offers to get me gas comes back with a gallon and promptly leaves not asking for a cent. I hit the road after filling up and ride for hours out of Phoenix and into the dessert. After getting completely lost I switch on the trusty GPS to no avail but by hook and by crook get on to the correct road heading west (I-8). It's amazingly beautiful. As the sun goes down behind the mountains on the horizon of the desert I realize I'm not Ottawa. My mind drifts from a zen like experience of the bike purring along with gorgeous scenery to I'm F#%^ing freezing. The ambient temp gauge is 4 C and dropping and there is not a light in site I'm in the middle of a desert. Rounding a rocky out crop unveils town  lights, yeah civilization! First order of business hot shower! Next day ride into California, still cold but I got all my winter riding equipment on nice and warm. Ride through sand dunes (on I-8) that could be used to make a movie about a middle east dessert. Loving this day and riding the bike is great, I love my big gas tank, not worrying about filling up all the time. Arrived in Calexico (new years eve) in the US, border patrols everywhere. Tomorrow Friday cross the border, turn right go down HW 2 then the plan is to drive down Laguna Salada (Dried up lake 100 miles long salt bed) turn up into the mountains about half way down and camp at hot springs called ?? later!
I'll post some pics soon. I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW!!!!!!!!!! erg. found the instructions carefully written in my book thanks Alison. 

First night on the road half way to Mexico


1 comment:

  1. Well hello Lux boy, glad you're having an awesome time. I am not, repeat NOT defacing Flicka with a giant tank no matter how wonderful it is.

    I'll use your gas.

    Love you
    Roulp
    ps did you want me to feed the dogs every day?

    ReplyDelete